Monday, September 12, 2016

Plagiarism or a Speeding Ticket: Either Way, You're Busted!

Blog #1

You want to avoid plagiarism like a speeding ticket. Both are serious acts due to carelessness and have grave consequences!

I welcome the challenge to write research papers for several reasons: to investigate something new, practice academic writing, and sharpening my APA format skills. I usually write in stages. First, I read materials, and then rewrite/record them into my words as I understand the information. This is the longest process because I ponder and reflect on new information to express my understanding of it. Although a difficult task, I work hard to not plagiarize. But, in rare moments, I’ll quote directly if I think my interpretation changes the meaning or the author’s actual words are more impactful. Moreover, I like reading because I immerse myself in scholarly language that’s not always part of my daily discourse. In addition, I look for contending sources to compare and contrast topic ideas. Looking at all positions better helps to inform or (dis)prove my arguments. Second, this supports my academic writing skills and organization, and appropriate language required for scholarly papers. Lastly, is the APA style and format. I’m getting better with citing, seriations, tables, endnotes and avoiding bias. The summer workshop sessions helped immensely: Dr. Bowers’ presentations were beneficial.  When I teach, I require my students to submit written presentations in proper academic form. All must complete mandated workshops on avoiding plagiarism through the library portal.  So, I am a “taskmaster” (or mistress) when addressing plagiarism and cheating and must practice what I preach. Overall, I’m fairly confident with skills to avoid plagiarism, but I’m still learning other ways that may apply. 

No comments:

Post a Comment