Sunday, October 16, 2016

Blog #3: Selecting a Topic and Identifying Literature  


After reading Galvan’s chapters 3 and 4 about selecting a topic and analyzing literature, I researched several different databases for scholarly materials. I found that the class session with the librarian helped me immensely when using the databases. Initially, was able to generate a listing of over 100 articles; then I narrowed the keyword and descriptors to refine my search.

I chose two peer-reviewed articles about technology integration in foreign language instruction and responded to the blog questions.

Article #1:
Diaz, A. R., & Hortiguera, H. (2016). TELL-ING IT LIKE IT IS: Practical implications from a critical stance on technology-enhanced language learning. Revista de Lenguas para Fines Específicos22(1), 54-79.

Article #2:
Veerappan, V., Wei, H. S., Wong, S. P., & Paramasivam, S. (2014). Mobile assisted teaching and learning in an institute of higher education. International Review of Social Sciences and Humanities8(1), 68-79.

Question 1. Both articles included a summary of the literature review in the beginning. Veerappan et al (2014) had an identified sub-heading section. However, Diaz and Hortiguera (2016) did not identify a section for a literature review, but referenced sources at the beginning and throughout the article. Diaz and Hortiguera (2016) did not have a “methods” section. Their experiment was an action research investigation where the professors were updating and changing the focus to support intended goals. On the other hand, Veerappan et al (2014) presented their aim or hypothesis as research questions at the end of the introduction section and prior to the literature review. Diaz and Hortiguera (2016) argued the methodological gaps between teaching Spanish in the traditional F2F style and integrating technology that could be adapted to suit individual professors’ teaching preferences. Their action research activities outlined efforts to meet teaching and learning needs. Veerappan et al (2014) investigated the readiness of professors and students for using mobile devices during instruction.

Question 2. Using categories and sub-categories, I created an outline for describing my topic.
I. Technology integration in foreign languages
A. Technology-enhanced language learning (TEL)
a) CALL (computer-assisted language learning)
b) MALL (mobile-assisted language learning)

II. Universal design for instruction/learning
A.   Learning (dis)abilities, styles and preferences
B.   Curricula redesign
C.   Instructional methods and strategies


Question 3. I am continuing to refine and sharpen my outline to select my articles to read first. My initial reading list is comprehensive. As I continue to research, I find newer articles updating previous research and/or presenting innovations related to my topic.

No comments:

Post a Comment