Saturday, December 10, 2016

Check, check, double check. And check again…

Blog #7

(Galvan, Ch 14 Self-editing checklist)

Reflections on self-editing


Galvan’s comprehensive self-editing checklist helped me to be thorough and accurate with the content, materials, and format of my final draft. So often, I focus on proper paraphrasing and citing that I overlook those SMALL significant details that can distract readers from the content. The 90-question outline is an impressive and essential tool applicable to all forms of writings – from basic essays to manuscripts for publication.  Although I teach these skills in a college writing center, I always practice what I preach and check, double-check…and check again for accuracy. My best (self) advice is to plan and write in chunks, from brainstorming to outlining to researching to production. The writing process is just that-a process. I follow Galvan’s guidelines step by step to be sure that I cover all writing criteria. I found that I may change ideas and gain new insight on ways to convey my message.

No comments:

Post a Comment